About Me

I am a professional librarian, a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and an amature scriptorian. I studied Latin and Greek in college and am now trying to learn biblical Hebrew. This blog is just a place for me to record my ideas about scriptures I am studing

Sunday, August 28, 2022

Psalms as Temple Litergy

One of the podcasts I listen to each week is Talking Scriptures. Their main take on the Psalms is that they are songs that were meant to accompany an annual temple ritual in ancient Israel.  This is an interesting idea to me because I have recently become an ordinance worker in the Provo Temple and have been working hard to try to memorize temple ceremonies. Of course, the ancient temple ceremonies are not the same as the modern ones, but there are some similarities. 

In the podcast , Bryce Dunford talks about the different stages of the ancient temple ritual.  He never lists them explicitly, but these are the ones I picked up on. 

1. approaching the temple in an attitude of repentance
2. being washed, anointed, and clothed in temple clothing
3. learning about God as the creator of the universe
4. the battle between God and the powers of darkness
5. people make covenants of loyalty and obedience to God
6. God promises that the people can become kings and priests.
7. the people are brought back into the presence of God.
8. they live with God forever. 
 
I decided to go through the Psalms and find passages I think might refer or be connected to each of these stages of the temple ceremony.

1. approaching the temple in an attitude of repentance
Psalm 32: 5 "I acknowledge my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and though forgavest the iniquity of my sin."
2. being washed, anointed and clothed in temple clothing. 
Psalm 26:6  "I will wash mine hands in innocency; so will I compass thine alter, Oh Lord."
also
Psalm 18:32 "It is God the girdeth me with strength, and maketh my way perfect."
and
Psalm 23:5 "thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over."
3. learning about God as the creator of the universe.
Psalm 8: 3-4 "When I consider thy heavens, the work of they fingers, the moon and stars, which thou hast ordained; What is man, that thou art mindful of him, and the son of man, that thou visitest him?" Also Psalm 29 and Psalm 33
4. the battle between God and the powers of darkness
Psalm 10:15-16 "Break thou the arm of the wicked and the evil man.; seek out his wickedness til thou find none. The Lord is King for ever and ever:"
5. people make covenants of loyalty and obedience to God.
Psalm 63:1-4 "O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is....Because thy loving kindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee.  Thus will I bless thee while I live; I will lift up my hands in thy name."
6. God promises that the people can become kings and priests
Psalm 2:6-11 "Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion...Be wise no therefore, oh ye kings: be instructed, ye judges of the earth. Serve the Lord with fear, and rejoice with trembling."
also
Psalm 110: 4 "The Lord hath sworn, and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the Order of Melchizedek."
8. the people are brought back into the presence of God
Psalm 27:4 "One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to inquire in his temple."
9. they live with God forever.
 Psalm 61:4-5 "I will abide in they tabernacle for ever; I will trust in the covert of thy wings. For thou, O God, hast heard my vows; thou hast given me the heritage of those that fear him."
 
These are only suggestive. They don't prove that these were used as temple text, they only suggest that they may have been used.  Still, it was an interesting study to find them all.






No comments:

Post a Comment