About Me

I am a professional librarian, a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and an amature scriptorian. I studied Latin and Greek in college and am now trying to learn biblical Hebrew. This blog is just a place for me to record my ideas about scriptures I am studing

Sunday, October 23, 2022

Jeremiah 30-52: Jesus knew Jeremiah

 As I was reading Jeremiah over the last two weeks I was surprised how often passages from Jeremiah sounded like passages in the New Testament.  New Testament writers don't ever name Jeremiah by name, but they were clearly familiar with his writings as they composed the New Testament.  I found a website that lists Jeremiah references in the New Testament. Here are some of my favorites.

Jeremiah 7:11
...Has this house, which is called by My name, become a den of robbers in your sight
Matt 21:13

He said to them, “It is written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer,’ but you make it a den of robbers.

Jeremiah 31:15
 Thus says the Lord, “A voice is heard in Ramah, Lamentation and bitter weeping. Rachel is weeping for her children; She refuses to be comforted for her children, Because they are no more.”
Matthew 2:18
A voice was heard in Ramah,
weeping and loud lamentation,
Rachel weeping for her children;
she refused to be comforted, because they are no more

Jeremiah 31: 31-33
“Behold, days are coming,” declares the Lord, “when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, 32not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them,” declares the Lord. 33“But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days,” declares the Lord, “I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.
Hebrews 10:16-17
This is the covenant that I will make with them
after those days, declares the Lord:
I will put my laws on their hearts,
and write them on their minds,”
17 then he adds,

“I will remember their sins and their lawless deeds no more.

There are other ways the Jeremiah is a type of Christ.  In both Jesus' time and Jeremiah's time, the Jews were living under a vassal state. The temple was the center of worship, but was soon to be destroyed. Jeremiah, like Christ, was largely ignored by the Jewish community. Jeremiah, like Jesus, was captured, imprisoned, beaten and eventually died for speaking what he believed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment