About Me

I am a professional librarian, a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and an amature scriptorian. I studied Latin and Greek in college and am now trying to learn biblical Hebrew. This blog is just a place for me to record my ideas about scriptures I am studing

Sunday, July 21, 2024

Swallowed up in the Joy of Christ

 This week in Come Follow Me we only had two chapters to study, Alma 30 and 31. In 30 Alma confronts the Anti-Christ, Korihor, and in 31, he comes in contact with the wicked Zoramites. He is so dismayed by these encounters, we see a little bit of world-weariness  befall this great religious leader, "O, how long, O Lord, wilt thou suffer that they servants shall dwell here below in the flesh, to behold such gross wickedness among the children of men?" (v. 26).  He then enumerates their sins and finishes he prayer with a plea for his fellow missionaries. "Wilt thou grant unto them that they may have strength, that they may bear their afflictions which shall come upon them because of the iniquity of this people." (v. 33)

In the final verse of the chapter we get the response of the Lord, as seen by Mormon.  "And the Lord provided for them that they should hunger not, neither should they thirst; yea, and he also gave them strength, that they should suffer no manner of afflictions, save it were swallowed up in the joy of Christ" (v. 38).   

I was really touched by that last phrase this week.  The Lord isn't promising that they would not suffer afflictions, but just that their afflictions would be "swallowed up" in joy. We know from later chapters that Alma's afflictions had only just begun.  He and his people have years of brutal warfare ahead of them. Yet they are promised that the pain and suffering of the times ahead will be overbalanced with the joy of Christ. 

I think this was impactful for me because recently, (i.e. in the past few years) I have had a number of little physical changes in my body that cause mild pain.  I got plantar fasciitis that hasn't quite gone away so my feet hurt every day.  My hip often hurts, and I struggle with a sore tailbone if I sit in a hard chair too long.  Most recently, my gums have receded enough that my teeth have become really sensitive to temperature. I can't eat either hot or cold things without risking a jolt of pain from my teeth. I know these are really common ailments that befall the aging, but sometimes I feel world weary as I realize that these pains will likely be my constant companions for the rest of my life, which, since I am only 59, could be 20 or 30 more years.  What's more, they will probably be joined with other small aches and pains. Not only will I suffer this decline, I will have to watch those I love suffer as well.  How does one face this kind of future?  

I think the Lord has given Alma and Mormon the answer.  These afflictions can be swallowed up in joy through Christ. Yes, my body will hurt and bad things may happen to me, but I will also have the opportunity to see my children and grandchildren grow and progress. Spring flowers will bloom and autumn leaves will blaze every year.  I will pray and be comforted over and over, and I will have many opportunities to serve others. Even if the time comes, like it did for my brother who died of cancer, that I am confined to a bed, racked with pain, waiting for death, I will always have the hope of a life after this one full of family, love and creativity. I think that is what it means to have our afflictions "swallowed up in the joy of Christ." The pain will come, but so, also, will a greater measure of joy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment