About Me

I am a professional librarian, a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and an amature scriptorian. I studied Latin and Greek in college and am now trying to learn biblical Hebrew. This blog is just a place for me to record my ideas about scriptures I am studing

Monday, June 27, 2022

Solomon the Wise

As I read about Solomon, I must admit I didn't have any really great "ahah!" moments (well, maybe one) There were a few translation things I thought were interesting.  

Solomon's name in Hebrew is שׁלמה which is basically the same word as "Shalom" meaning peace.  The name given to him at birth by the prophet Nathan, is Jedidiah, יְדִידְיָה, which means "beloved of God." These are both fitting names for Solomon, because; 1. the reason Solomon was allowed to build the temple and David was not was because David had "shed much blood" in warfare during his reign. (1 Chronicals 22:7) 2. He was so beloved of God that God told him he could have any gift he asked. Of course, he asked for wisdom, or an understanding heart. (1 Kings 3:9)

So what is the meaning of the word translated in these verses as "An undertanding Heart?" (1 Kings 3-9)  In a different translation I read, they said "a discerning heart."  What the Hebrew says is לב שׁמע. The second word, שׁמע. means to "hear" or "head."  It is the first word in the Shema prayer "Hear, oh Israel, our god is one God."  (Deut 6:4)  So what Solomon is asking for is a heart, לב, which will heed, or "שׁמע" the Lord. It is interesting in the vast supply of ready knowledge that we have in the world today, the source of true wisdom is still obedience to God. 

I found it a little strange however, when the writer of 1 Kings says, "And if you walk in obedience to me and keep my decrees and commands as David your father did, I will give you a long life.”  After reading this I thought, "wait, wait, wait, didn't David mess up big time by sleeping with Bathsheba, and having Uriah killed?  Why is the Lord holding David up as an example to Solomon, especially because he, Solomon, is the offspring of this illicit relationship?" How could the Lord consider David as a role model? The only thing I can come up with, is that even after David messed around with Bathsheba, he felt sorry and mourned his bad choice for the rest of his life.  Even though he faltered in his actions, his heart was always turned toward the Lord. 






No comments:

Post a Comment